20060810

VOTE VOIE VOID

I once heard that writing is easy. Just sit by a typewriter and open a vein.

Sometimes, art is a spontaneous outpouring that isn't controlled. That's what happened to me when I answered a call for art. I'm still angry and not over it, so when the call for the
Do Not Fold, Bend, Spindle or Mutilate: Computer Punch Card Art, I was adamant that I would not, would not, do the hanging chad thing.

Above is the piece that I submitted to the show.


The piece went from plain punch card to stamped, addressed and enveloped in about 20 minutes. That included the time it took to design and carve the "Vote" stamp. When I'd sat down, I had intended to do a woven fiber arts piece, but Minerva had other plans.


The
exhibit has been posted on the web so the works can be seen by anyone. I'm not sure what the total number of pieces is, but it was inspiring to see so many names of other artists I've exchanged work with over the years.

There were a number of other pieces that also echoed the feelings still raging from the 2000 debacle. There are obviously still a lot of people still
not ready to make nice.

What happened in 2000 was wrong. That it's continued is worse. That Americans are dying in Iraq to give the Iraqi people the right to vote while our right to vote is being nibbled to death by ducks is evil.


I'll be comforted by a computerized vote the day the check out machines incorrectly scan a price for the LAST time. I'm not holding my breath.

Maimun

No comments: